Share This

Tuesday 19 April 2011

Many fall for Aussie job scam



 Women swindle RM25,350 from 19 victims by promising highly paid work


By Ivan Loh, The Star/Asia News Network

BATU GAJAH: A chance to work in Australia and earn about RM9,000 monthly seemed too good a deal for a labourer to ignore.

It was, however, all a scam as a 26-year-old man from Batu Gajah, who only wanted to be known as Heng, found out when he was cheated of his money by two women.

Fong holding up the police report made by one of the victims of the scam at the Batu Gajah police station
 
Heng said he was introduced to the women who promised him a job as a sheep wool collector in Australia last month.

“One of the them, known as Ann, told me that I only had to pay RM1,650 as deposit for the airfare and they would find me a job there,” he said.

“As they were introduced to me by a friend, I trusted them and paid the money,” he told reporters after lodging a police report on Sunday.

Heng said that Ann later confirmed his flight on April 30. However, she subsequently informed Heng that his flight had been postponed to another date and he was told to wait.


Heng, a renovation worker, said he was later contacted by Ann, saying that the deal was off and his money would be refunded.


“I tried calling her again to enquire when I could get back my money but the calls went unanswered,” he said.

Heng said he hoped the police would look into the matter and pick up the two women for questioning.


“I only want justice to be served on these unscrupulous people. If I can’t get back my money, so be it,” he said.

Heng was among six people, accompanied by Batu Gajah MP Fong Po Kuan, who lodged a report.

Fong said she believed there could be more people who had fallen victim to the two women.

“I was told that 13 others had lodged similar reports earlier this month,” she said, adding that the two women had swindled about RM25,350 from the 19 victims.

“Most of them were promised jobs to work in factories, orchards and farms in Australia.”

Some of the victims were from Sungai Siput, Menglembu, Gopeng, Sitiawan and Chenderong, she added.




No comments:

Post a Comment